Tomorrow is the D-Day! So here’s a last minute revision test for you!
Rewrite the following sentences as per the directions given without changing the meaning of the sentences:
- It can be very interesting to listen to the radio. (Begin: Listening…)
- Start now or you will not arrive in time. (Begin: You…)
- In your place, I would ask for a better reward. (Begin: If…)
- He tried harder and harder but achieved less and less. (Begin: The…)
- The bag was so heavy that it could not be carried. ( Use: too)
- Your answers need correcting. ( Use: corrected)
- Very few people are as honest as Mrs. Jacob. ( Use: most)
- As soon as they write the exam, they start discussing the answers. (Begin: No ….)
- If you had not advised me, I would have been deceived. (Begin: But…)
- The sudden knock startled her. ( Change the voice)
- People grew a lot of rubber in Malaysia. [Begin: A…]
- “Shall I ask her to wait,” said Pamela. [Change into Reported Speech]
- It was so late that I could not attend the class. [Use: too]
- Prizes were being given by the Minister when the lights went out. [Change the voice]
- If you had not advised me, I would have fallen into the trap. [Begin: But….]
- I am coming with you. [Provide a suitable question tag]
- This is the biggest elephant I have ever seen. [Use: big]
- As soon as Rama starts to run the race, the crowd cheers her. [Begin: No sooner …]
- Both the answers are wrong. [Begin: Neither….]
- Neither John nor his friends ……… to blame. [Use: is/are]
- The United Nations has its headquarters in U.S.A. [Correct the sentence]
- He is a principled man. [Use: principle]
- But for my help, she would not have succeeded. Begin: Had…]
- If he apologizes, he will be pardoned. [Use: Unless…]
- The teacher asked, “Will you confess your mistake?” [Change into indirect speech]
- Let the child not be disturbed. [Change into active voice]
- Very few Prime Ministers are as scholarly as our Prime Minister. [change into superlative]
- He is so ill that he cannot attend the meeting. [Use: too]
- The task was not pleasant. It was not easy either. [Combine the two sentences]
- The Principal is calling everyone from this class. [Begin: Everyone…]
- How kind a person Anurag is! [Begin: What…]
- It was wrong on the part of the management to dismiss him. [Use: ought]
- Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world. [Begin: No other…]
- There were only a few coins in the purse that Seema lost. [Begin: The purse…]
- “I do not think I can finish the work by today”, said the plumber. [Change the narration]
- There is nothing more beautiful than the sunset. [Begin: Is….]
- If you do not mend your ways, you will get into trouble. [Begin: Mend…]
- He is not a reckless driver. [End: recklessly]
- She exclaimed that Kolkata is a very congested city. [Change into direct speech]
- Very few foods are as healthy as milk. [Change into superlative]
- Andrew is the best cobbler in our town. [Change into positive]
- Hyderabad is one of the cleanest cities in India. [Use: clean]
- A deer does not run as fast as a cheetah. [Begin: A cheetah…]
- No other poet is as popular as Shakespeare. [Use: most]
- Mr. Ram came last of all for the meeting. [Change into positive]
- Some monuments are perhaps more beautiful than the Taj. [Use: most]
- ‘Why don’t you sing a song, Rita?’ said Suresh. (Rita)
- To Iqbal’s surprise, the office was closed. (find)
- The play I saw last week was better than this one. (good)
- Has Nidhi written to you? ( Use hear)
- As soon as the news of the fire broke out, everyone rushed to the spot. [Begin: No sooner…..]
- Richard sat on a freshly painted chair. [Begin: the Chair…]
- This is the cruelest act I have ever seen. [Begin: Never…]
- Even as a young artist, my aunt did not neglect her studies. [Use: when]
- I found a ten rupee note in the book. [Change the voice]
- It was wrong on the part of political parties to blame the neighboring country. [Use: ought]
- Being strong, Arun can lift the heavy suitcase.[ Use; so…. That]
- “If you do not hurry, you will miss the bus.” My mother said. [Change into indirect speech]
- The children failed to notice the teacher as she entered. [Change into a negative sentence]
- Only Rachel came to the birthday party. [Begin: None…..]
Question 2. Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions:
1. He has great confidence __ himself.
2. The miser fell a victim __ his own greed.
3. The government provides the school children __free mid-day meals.
4. The difficult route led__ a forest.
5. I am waiting for the letter __Monday
6. I have lived in Bangalore __1978.
7. The convict begged __mercy.
8. Do you believe __ghosts?
9. Please attend __what I am saying to you.
10. One is known __the company one keeps. Keep good company always.
11. I looked __my nephew while his parents went out.
12. We should not look __upon the poor.
13. Farmers look __to a better standard of living.
14. The principal promised to look __her case.
15. I am trying to look__ my key.
16. Do you agree __this proposal?
17. The man was charged __theft.
18. The doctor cured her __the disease.
19. The family was shocked __the news.
20. The police are inquiring __the case.
21. Some people have very strange attitude __animals.
22. The newspaper made a fierce attack __the speaker.
23. There was a steep rise __the cost of living last month.
24. People used to believe that air pollution was the cause __malaria.
25. In the long run, there is no alternative __hard work.
26. He is lot more agile __I am.
27. The newcomer wanted to know how to get __the bus stop to the bazaar.
28. He did not attend extra classes because __a severe cold.
29. A microscope is provided in the laboratory __the use of pupils.
30. I prefer fast food __any other food.
31. They rejoiced __their success.
32. He revenged himself __his enemies.
33. We went to our house __foot.
34. She was born __rich parents.
35. The final decision rests__principal.
36. The jury found him guilty __ the crime
37. Monica is not liable __her friend’s debt.
38. The army carried __a combing operation in the building.
39. His request for a transfer was turned __.
40. I assure you __my help.
Answers to Question 1:
- Listening to the radio can be very interesting.
- You should start now in order to arrive on time.
- If I would have been in your place, I would have asked for a better reward.
- The harder he tried the lesser he achieved.
- The bag was too heavy to be carried.
- Your answers need to be corrected.
- Most people are not as honest as Mrs. Jacob.
- No sooner do they write the exam than they start discussing the answers.
- But for your advice, I would have been deceived.
- She was startled by the sudden knock.
- A lot of rubber was grown in Malaysia.
- Pamela asked if she should ask her to wait.
- It was too late to attend the class.
- The Minister was giving the prizes when the light went out.
- But for your advice, I would have fallen into the trap.
- I am coming with you, may I?
- This elephant is the most big that I have ever seen.
- No sooner does Rama start to run a race than the crowd cheers her.
- Neither of the answers is right.
- Neither John nor his friends is to blame.
- The United Nations has its headquarters in the U.S.A.
- He is a man of principle.
- Had I not helped her, she would not have succeeded.
- Unless he apologizes, he will not be pardoned.
- The teacher asked him if he would confess his mistake.
- Do not disturb the child.
- Our Prime Minister is the most scholarly of all.
- He is too ill to attend the meeting.
- The task was neither pleasant nor easy.
- Everyone from the class is being called by the principal.
- What a kind person Anurag is!
- The management ought not to dismiss him.
- No other city in the world is as expensive as Tokyo.
- The purse which Seema lost had only a few coins.
- The plumber said that he did not think that he could complete the work that day.
- Is there anything beautiful than sunset?
- Mend your ways or you will get into trouble.
- He does not drive recklessly.
- She said, “Kolkata is a very congested city”.
- Milk is healthiest food of all.
- No other cobbler is as good as Andrew is.
- Very few cities in India are as clean as Hyderabad.
- A cheetah runs faster than a deer.
- Shakespeare is the most popular of all poets.
- No one came after Mr. Ram for the meeting.
- The Taj is not the most beautiful monument.
- Suresh asked Rita to sing a song
- To his surprise, Iqbal found that the office was closed.
- This play is not as good as the one I saw last week.
- Did you hear from Nidhi?
- No sooner did the news of the fire break out than everyone rushed to the spot.
- The chair on which Richard sat was freshly painted.
- Never have I seen such a cruel act.
- Even when my aunt was a young artist, she did not neglect her studies.
- A ten rupee note was found by me in the book.
- Political parties ought not to wrongfully blame the neighbouring countries.
- Arun is so strong that he can lift the heavy suitcase.
- My mother told me if I did not hurry I would miss the bus.
- The children did not notice the teacher’s entry. .
- None but Rachel came to the birthday party.
Answers to Question 2: