Geography Revision II
Questions on Minerals
- Mention two states where limestone is found. Name one district each of Goa and Gujarat where bauxite is found.
- Why is manganese considered to be an important mineral for industrial purposes? Name two principal buyers of manganese in the world.
- What are the main products obtained during refining of petroleum? Name two refineries of petroleum on the west coast of India.
- Fill in the blanks given in the chart:
Mineral Important use Two leading states in
India where it is found
One country other than
India where it is found
Bauxite ____________ _________________ _________________________ Manganese _________________ _________________________ _____________ Production of cement _________________ __________________________
5. Why is the coal produced in Bangladesh not of much importance? From which country does it import most of its coal?
6. What is the main product of bauxite? What are its uses?
7. Which Indian state is the greatest producer of iron-ore? What type of ore is it and in which iron and steel mills is it utilized?
8.Why does iron ore influence the economy of a country?
9. Which country is the largest producer of coal in South Asia? Where does this country rank in coal production in the world? What are its estimated coal reserves?
10. Mention two uses of limestone.
Questions on Industries
- Explain why the Hooghly basin is the main course for the jute textile industry.
- How has the Indian economy been influenced by the textile industry?
- Which industry is migrating South? Give reasons.
- Why is the silk industry considered a small scale industry? Name the two types of silk produced in India.
- Name the by-products of the sugar industry. Give uses of each.
- Name the foreign collaborator of:
- Bokaro steel plant.
- Rourkela steel plant.
- Durgapur steel plant.
- Visakhapatnam Steel Plant.
- What are the main resources required for the development of iron and steel industry?
- What is the difference between heavy electrical and light electrical?
- What are the basic requirements of petro-chemicals? Which was the first public sector unit to be set up?
- What is the significance of electronic industry in India? Name two centers of this industry in India.
Agriculture in India:
- What is clonal planting? What are its advantages?
- Differentiate between rabi and kharif crops with examples.
- Mention three main problems faced by the Indian agriculture and help given by the government to solve them.
- Differentiate between cash-crops and food-crops.
- Complete the chart:
|Rabi or kharif|
6. Which are the three kinds of coffee grown in India? Which two states lead in its production?
7. State the economic importance of tobacco in India. Where does it stand in production?
8. What is the Green Revolution?
9. In reference to sugarcane, distinguish between the sett methods of propagation and ratoon cropping.
10. Why is the cultivation of oil seeds gaining popularity in recent times?