Geography Revision – I
Questions on The climate of India.
- Why does Cherrapunji receive higher rainfall than Shillong?
- Name the parts of India that are affected by cyclones and depressions and explain the causes of these.
- Which states in India receive winter rain? How is this rain economically beneficial?
- Explain how the west coast of India gets rain.
- What are the typical features of the tropical monsoon climate?
- Why do hill stations in South India never get snow even when the temperature drops below 0°C?
- Explain the mechanism of the direction of the Bay of Bengal branch of the SW Monsoon.
- Why does India have varied climatic types?
- Which type of climate is experienced in the Northern Plains of India? State one important characteristics of this type of climate.
- Explain why Mumbai is warmer than Kanpur in December.
Questions on Soils in India:
- How is red soil formed? Mention two important properties of this soil.
- Which type of soil is associated with the term ‘leaching’? Name two regions in India where this type of soil is found.
- What kind of soil do you need for i) wheat, ii) cotton, iii) bajra?
- Differentiate between khadar and bhangar soils and say where either of them is found.
- Which soil is of volcanic origin? Which crop thrives best in this soil?
- State two methods of soil conservation in semi-arid regions.
- Where do find red soil in India? What are its disadvantages?
- How is the soil protected from i) sheet erosion, ii) water logging and iii) gully erosion?
- Explain why alluvial soil is good for agriculture.
- Explain why red soil is red in colour.