“Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become.”
C. S. Lewis
The ICSE English Paper one tests your understanding and comfort level with the English level. This is not just another English paper. If you keep in mind the objectives behind creating the ICSE English Syllabus and the ICSE English Test Paper, you will surely be able to prepare better for the ICSE exam and get better scores in ICSE English.
Lets us look at some of the objectives of the ICSE English language syllabus.
1. The ICSE English syllabus is aimed at building, growing and assimilating the application of the four essential language skills. These are listening, speaking, reading and writing. ICSE syllabus makers and paper setters want to ensure that you do not just develop these skills in isolation, but rather are able to use them in a combined manner in your daily life.
2. The ICSE English syllabus has been designed in such a way so as to develop the ability of the candidates to express themselves, to give words to their ideas and feelings, and to comprehend and appreciate the use of modern English.
3. The ICSE English syllabus pays a great deal of attention to the fact the ICSE students should have a proper awareness of literary texts. With this aim in view, the literature syllabus is enriched with valuable literary texts such as Shakespeare, O’ Henry, Maugham etc. The list of texts in the English literature syllabus is a rich and varied one and rather comprehensive. Thus you have texts from many literatures and countries around the world. Care has been taken to see that ICSE students don’t end up with a parochial view of English literature. Thus a classic like Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar co-exists with modern Indian short stories such as The Marty’s Corner and The Lost Boy.
4. The ICSE English literature syllabus comprises of a variety of texts so that students are able to develop an appreciation for the subject. The objective is to develop the range of reading of the students and also to help them to understand and critically appreciate literary qualities in a text. Students are tested not only for their ability to comprehend and recall texts, but to apply their understanding of the same in their own writings.
5. Finally, to sum it all, the ICSE English syllabus is so designed as to help the candidate to learn the effective and appropriate use of the English language. All the questions are so designed as to test the candidate’s abilities regarding the same. Thus the ICSE English language paper requires the candidate to write an essay, a letter, attempt a comprehension passage and answer the questions that follow it, write a précis, and also to answer a number of grammar questions designed to test the grasp of the English language.